Join the NNY Field Crops/Pastures/Soils E-Mail List
Welcome to the Cornell Cooperative Extension Northern NY Regional Agriculture Web Site
Please use our searchable database to find articles by NNY educators addressing local issues and for easy access to useful Cornell University web pages. The menu headings above take you to specific interest areas; use the links below for information and newsletters county by county. This website is a collaborative effort of the six NNY county CCE agriculture programs. For info on Quality of Life and 4-H Youth Development, contact each county CCE office through the links below.
A snapshot of the 6-county Northern New York agricultural industry includes:
- Nearly 1.3 million acres of land in agricultural production
- Farmers operating more than 4,000 farms
- Farm products with a market value that exceeds $595 million
- NNY farm employee payroll adding more than $52.9 million to local economy
- A steadily growing local foods industry with fresh and value-added products
- More than 600 farms selling direct to consumers
- Land resources to support steady growth of the maple industry
- A burgeoning cold-hardy grapes industry with full-fledged winery regions in the Champlain Valley and St. Lawrence Seaway.
Agricultural education is well-represented throughout the NNY region. In addition to the six Cornell Cooperative Extension associations providing technical assistance and outreach, there are :
- 19 school districts offering agricultural education
- 15 FFA Chapters, 675-plus student-members
- 4 research farms: Cornell Willsboro Research Farm, Cornell Uihlein Maple Research Station, Cornell Uihlein Potato Research Station, Cornell Cooperative Extension Learning Farm
- Northern New York Agricultural Development Program (NNYADP): farmer-driven small grants program funds critical on-farm research for NNY’s agricultural industry (click name for NNYADP website)
- Miner Institute: accredited courses in agriculture, innovative research.
The contact person for this web site is
Anita Deming, PO Box 388, Westport NY 12993, 518-962-4810 ext 409, email@example.com
For emergency preparedness information, contact:
New York EDEN: Extension Disaster Education Network
Follow New York EDEN on Facebook and Twitter
Click here to learn more about Cornell Cooperative Extension: Helping You Put Knowledge to Work